Obtain a PESEL Number – a service provided to foreigners
If you are foreigner living in Poland, you can register your residence – in such a situation, you will automatically obtain a PESEL Number [Polish acronym for „Universal Electronic System for Registration of the Population”]. If you cannot register your residence, and any agency requires a PESEL Number from you – submit an application. Check how to do this.
Eligibility for obtaining a PESEL Number
- You will obtain the PESEL Number ex officio – if you register your residence in Poland for a stay of over 30 days.
- Submit an application with the municipality/township office – if you cannot register your residence, but you need the PESEL Number.
What you have to prepare
If you register your residence:
- an application for the assigning of a PESEL Number – download and fill it out at home. You can also obtain the application at the municipality/township office.
- a document, which confirms your identity and other data entered in the application form.
You can submit the application In person or by a Proxy acting on your behalf. Learn more at the office how to handle the matter through a proxy.
Remember! Provide the actual legal base in the application, which entails the obligation of holding a PESEL Number. If Any agency (for example, ZUS (Social Security Agency) or tax Office requires the PESEL Number – it should also provide you with the legal base of such a requirement.
If there are any deficiencies in the application – you will be informed that they need to be supplemented. The office will not be able to review your application, if the said application fails to meet official requirements.
What you have to do
- Fill out the application form and prepare your ID document – for more information, see the What you have to prepare section.
- Submit the application with the office – for more information, see the Where to collect section.
How much you will pay
This is a free of charge service.
How long you will have to wait
The official will immediately accept your application. If there are grounds for assigning the PESEL no. – you will receive notice of assignment of the PESEL Number.
Where to collect
- at the municipality/township office with venue for your place of registered residence (where you have registered residence or where you wish to register your residence),
- at the municipality/township office with venue for the seat of your employer - if you cannot register your residence,
- at the Office of the Borough of Śródmieście of the capital city of Warsaw (ul. Nowogrodzka 43) – if you are not working or your employer is established abroad.
- The Population Registration Act of 25 September 2010 (Journal of Laws of 2018 r. Item 1382),
- Regulation of the Minister of Internal Affairs of 4 January 2012 regarding the assignment or change of PESEL N Numbers (Journal of Laws of 2015 r. Item 1984).
Ostatnia aktualizacja: 02.04.2020 13:06
Instytucja odpowiedzialna za usługę: Ministry of Digital Affairs